Tuesday, September 27, 2011

All Quiet on the Western Front

Characters:

Paul Baumer- Narrator of the Novel.  He goes from being a kind compassionate young man, to being almost careless due to the horror of war.
Katczinsky- Pauls Best Friend and is also in his company.  Kat is 40 in the beginning of the book and has a family at home.  He is also very resourceful. 
Himmelstoss- Known as one of the strictest disciplinarian, from the No. 9 Platoon
Kropp- One of Pauls classmates and serves with Paul in the second company.  Other than Kat, Kropp is also one of Pauls close friends.
Muller- One of Pauls Classmates
Tjaden- Pauls friend in the second company, and is not a fan of Himmelstoss
Kantorek- pressures Paul and classmates to enlist in the army, strict schoolmaster in high school
Kemmerich- Pauls friend who dies from gangrene after his leg is amputated, and it shows the meaninglessness of death in war.
Behm- First of Pauls Classmates to die
Detering- One of Pauls close friends who is constantly homesick for his wife and farm
Duval- The French Soldier Paul killed in No Man’s Land.  Causing Pauls most traumatic experience in the war
Leer- One of Pauls close friends in the second company.  And the first in Pauls class to lose his virginity
Mittelstaedt- One of Pauls Classmates who become a training officer and loves tormenting Kantorek

Role of Kemmerich:

                I don’t understand why my fellow comrades are acting somewhat distant towards me.  I feel as if they are hiding something for me and I would like for someone to make me aware of what is going on.  But honestly one of my biggest worries is where my watch went.   I’m curious as to why Muller asks me if they can keep my boots, one of my most prized possessions.  Paul promises me that he will be coming back in the morning to visit me as they are leaving. When he does return in the morning I have become aware of the hospital amputating my leg.  Paul makes me mindful that in a few days I will be going home, but as for me I have doubt.  After finding out that my leg was amputated I gave my boots to Paul to give to Muller, seeing as I will have no use for them.  Other than being concerned about my leg, I still question as to where my watch could be.  So many emotions run through my head, but I know this is the end for me, no matter what Paul tries to say otherwise. 

Chapter 12 Summary:

The time of year is autumn, and Paul is the last of his seven classmates left.  He has 14 days of leave due to swallowing gas.  He feels weary of going home seeing as he has no goals, and feels as if he will not be able to find his way.  Paul thinks that his generation will be practically invisible seeing as the generation before already has an occupation and life planned out, and the generation after his will act “strange.”  In October of 1918 Paul was killed.  The expression on his face was calm, almost as if he couldn’t be happier his life had finally come to an end after a few years of a war that wrecked him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment